Tuesday, May 6, 2008

DAY 18: Friday, May 2, 2008

Temperature Range: 98
Turned the eggs: 2 times – 9:30 am, 12:15 am (just after midnight)
Water added today: No

I haven’t been able to get the temperature right back at 100 since our 104 scare. I’m keeping it a tad cooler rather than risk frying them. The thing is so touchy that it’s hard to get it exact. I figure it may slow things down a day or so if they are cooler, but at least they’re not fried (I hope!)

Today is the last day to turn the eggs. If we keep turning them, we risk hurting their tiny little necks. They are at the developmental point where they will suck the yolk up into their belly for nourishment until they have access to food after hatching. This weekend I will prepare the incubator for hatching. I have to buy a new thermometer for the Brooding Box (where we put the chicks after they hatch and dry). Because I should still have a thermometer in the incubator, I need another one for the Box. I also need some litter material for the bottom of the Box and to actually set the thing up.

Today, I purchased a special little water-dish device that screws onto a mason jar for the baby chicks.

No comments: