Today the little flopper looks almost like the others. I can still point him out and he walks with a limp, but he’s otherwise OK. I don’t know for sure if he’ll make it, but at least he didn’t die in his shell.
This evening, I will throw out the un-hatched eggs. I’m hoping to have time to candle them to see how far they got before development stopped. If I don’t have time, then I may wait until tomorrow to toss them. I’m still trying to decide if I’ll open the shells. It will be sad and will be hard for the kids to understand, but it is a fact of life and I’d rather explain it in terms of a chick than wait until the necessity to explain it about a person. We’ll see; I haven’t decided what to do yet about those eggs.
We have identified 1, maybe 2, farmers interested in our chicks. We are taking them Saturday evening to a friend’s house whose sister-in-law is taking them about 2-1/2 hours northwest, but still inside Illinois. The other farmer, if she takes some, may offer opportunity for us to visit periodically. That would be neat.